Saturday, August 4, 2012

the queen is dead

Its been ages since I've done much of anything really. I have no desire to pursue any hobbies beyond reading - and then, I really just want to worry about the problems of Westeros in lieu of my own. I have no desire to paint, to clean, to get dressed in the morning or wander outside the walls of my little blue apartment. I'd be content just to sit here in my bubble, in my cage, and pretend that nothing  in the world has changed. That everything is the same. Sometimes I close my eyes and imagine I am in Stephenville again, its summer and I'm hiding away in my bedroom, or running down some jagged hill with a troupe of friends, or staring out at the ocean with eyes made of glass. Those days are gone, though. 

Its amazing how quickly people slip into and out of your life. I have made so many friends over the years, and now some fall into my acquaintance pocket, or are enemies, or have simply ceased to exist. Right now I feel like everyone I've ever known is gone and I am just left to fill up all the holes they've left. This is the loneliest time I've ever faced in my life. Which is sad and strange, because I've purged so much negativity from my life, and I am exactly where I hoped I'd be this time last year. Theres one major difference, of course.

On June 5th my very brave and beautiful mother lost a very short but fierce battle with lung cancer. Watching her slowly deteriorate over the course of that year is the hardest thing I've ever had to witness. Always a tiny woman, she dropped to a meager 80lbs, her skin was yellow and raw, and she had a look of pain on her face in the last few weeks of her life that I will never forget. In the last few weeks she was here, she was reduced to silence and suffering - strange to see, for a woman that seemed to talk and laugh almost incessantly. Some days she didn't even seem to know me - I was a stranger to her and she was almost a stranger to me. It is a strange experience, to watch the place you came from - the woman that made you, hair and cells and skin - to crumble away before your eyes. Nothing instills you with more hopelessness, nothing tears apart your spirit more. 

Its been almost two months now, and I can't say how I'm doing exactly. For the first few weeks every time I woke up and remembered that she was gone I would burst into tears. After awhile it got easier. Now its harder again, and this time I find I am kind of retreating into myself. I don't want to go anywhere or do anything or see anyone. I'd be content just sitting home playing video games and staring off into space. Wallowing in my guilt and regret, feeling sorry for myself & my family and angry at the rest of the world. 
  
Another facet of dealing with this is that for the first time in my young life I am confronted with my own mortality, something I thought I wouldn't face until I was gracefully middle aged. Yes I, Sierra Skinner, am going to die someday. I might get hit by a bus, or fall from the sky. I might do it willingly. I might die for months on end like my mother while my family tries to hold back tears. I might die an old woman in some nursing home, 98-years-old and surrounded by smiling nurses. However it happens, I just know for the first time in my life that I am not immortal. I am going to die. Youth is immortality, and I feel like my youth is gone forever. 

Meanwhile, what am I left with? How am I ever going to come to terms with the loss of my mother, to start living again? After all, despite being mortal I am alive for the time being, and I have put myself into a kind of stasis. I have closed my doors for the season, shut down. I don't know how to face the world feeling as I do, and I don't know how the world can accept me feeling this way. I wish it was as easy as it was at first - paint a smile on in the morning, talk about it unflinchingly, so bravely people would say. Now even thinking about my mom kills me, and the only image of her in life I can conjure up vividly is of her in a hospital bed on the last day of her life, struggling through each of her remaining breaths.

I feel completely alone, completely lost. I am drifting off to sea.



XO

9 comments:

  1. I am so very sorry.

    Reading this reminded me of losing my father. I went through a very similar thing, especially during his last weeks, and I know there is nothing anyone can say at a time like this to take away the pain, or to make you believe that life will one day be almost normal again.

    If it makes any difference at all, I know of at least one person who loves you and thinks about you constantly. You are always in her thoughts, and she never mentions you without a smile on her face.

    Though we never forget those we have loved and lost, the clouds will eventually clear. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you James, its good to know that I am not alone in this & that it will eventually somehow get easier. I don't know when or how but its good that it will come. Take care of my girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww Sierra <3333. First off I just want to say that you are such a beautiful writer, I envy your ability to put feelings into words. Secondly, MUCH LOVE. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it is because just the thought of that happening in my life brings tears to my eyes, and I admire you so much for how well you are doing because it is honestly amazing! Like the saying goes, time heals all wounds. And in the meantime, me and Blossom are here to support you, and we make house calls <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might have to make a date with you and Blossom soon, Pope! And thanks for the kindness. I got a good support network, stuff to distract me and I'm great at internalizing things. Makes it all a lot easier haha <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rest in peace, my beautiful friend </3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love and miss you every day.

    - Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss you and love you more than anything.

    -Allan

    ReplyDelete