Tuesday, February 8, 2011

pumpkins & apples

Today I had my first Biology laboratory midterm of the semester, and what a good time that was, no sarcasm intended. It was super easy and after I got over the initial shaky nervousness that caused me to fuck up two garlic root tip slides and drench my hands in brown stain I was good to go. The hour passed fairly quickly, and I even got to spend a bit of time with my dear parameciums again. They're little protists that look like slippers and they are cute in a way that only something microscopic can be.
























Seeee? Okay, maybe you don't. But they sort of move like aquatic caterpillars and I think its darling. I got to feed them yeast one day and I can't remember the last time I was excited about anything.

So, today I discovered that my great-aunt Hazel is getting a ferry named after her. Why? For being the first post-confederation female MHA in Newfoundland & Labrador. As you can imagine, my family is pretty excited and very proud of her. Shes extremely sick and will never really understand that shes earned this, but I imagine she'd be very happy with the honor if she were well. Everyone in the family is extremely ecstatic on her behalf, at least. I actually never knew she was the first female MHA until today; I knew that she was the mayor of St. George's, where my mom and her family grew up. Very cool. She's a wonderful person.

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Local/2011-02-08/article-2208462/New-ferries-named-after-political-trailblazers/1

Thats all for today, however. Lots of excitement and good vibes floating around. I'm baking an apple pumpkin pie with homemade crust, and my oven is right behind me and I am pretty much ready to tear it out of the pan and eat the entire thing despite the obvious risks to my health and safety. I suppose I must learn some restraint.

The snow is howling, and I bid thee goodnight.




XO

2 comments:

  1. Aw man, so jealous of your political connections.

    I'm happy after YEARS of saying you would, you have finally started your blog. <3

    YAY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did it all for you, my lady <3 Its going to a very-blog filled year. I am hoping it'll enrich my life as much as its done yours. :)

    ReplyDelete