Thursday, April 7, 2011

putting the damage on

Hey everyone,

Sorry I've been so utterly absent from life the last few days, its been a hectic week. Political rallies, plays, book launches and - tonight - fake proms. Its been a lovely one to wrap up a hectic semester, for sure. I've relaxed and done absolutely nothing, including even be in my own house, all week. Its been nice, I feel like I'm in high school again or something. Of course, it shall be shortlived - this weekend, aside from inevitable bouts of fun (clay cafe plz) - I plan to devote myself to some hardcore studying, if my brain can possibly handle it while pickled in so much alcohol. Wish me luck, I guess.

Since I find myself three days behind on the 30 day movie challenge, today's post shall be a fun little triple threat! Enjoy <3

DAY 4: A MOVIE FROM YOUR CHILDHOOD

"The Last Unicorn", 1982.

Man, this movie. Such gorgeous, old school storybook animation, killer voice acting by Mia Farrow, Jeff Bridges, and Christopher Lee (to name a few), cheesy songs, and one of the saddest tales ever told. This was the very first movie I can remember my mom buying for me, and I still remember sitting on our '70s style sofa watching it with my face covered in ketchup. Its the story of a unicorn who realizes that shes the last of her kind, the other unicorns being driven into the sea by a fiery beast called the red bull, who was collecting them for a lonely king who lived in a gloomy castle. The unicorns are the only thing that really makes the king feel anything. Its a beautiful movie. Its based on a novel I've yet to read, but its definitely on my list.




DAY 5: FAVORITE MUSICAL

"The Rocky Horror Picture Show", 1975.

Obviously Rocky Horror! This movie doesn't even require explanation, I feel. Its weird, its sassy, its hilarious, and I know the lyrics to every single song. I even spent several horrific months of my life being forced to dance the Time Warp over and over and over again. I die for the costumes, sets, and the hilarious '70s special effects. Probably the most fun movie ever. Its hard choosing a favorite musical, really, because there are so many awesome ones (Evita? Chicago? Hedwig?), but Rocky definitely takes the cake for me.








DAY 6: A MOVIE THAT MAKES YOU SAD

"City of God", 2002.

Man, this movie RUINS me emotionally, in a way that no movie has since probably Requiem for a Dream. Its a Brazilian movie directed by the same guy that did "The Constant Gardener", and its about a violent slum in Brazil called the City of God, ironically. Its absolutely brutal. The movie depicts gang warfare to the extreme. Theres one particularly scarring scene where this guy forces a kid whose no more than say 9 to shoot his friend, while both of them are hysterically weeping. The movie has a fairly happy ending, though.The main character is a photographer and achieves fame due to his up close and personal photos of the slum's gangs. The thing that makes me saddest is that this place actually exists, and most of the movie's events were actually based on real happenings. Just goes to show you have fucked up human beings can be, really. Its an incredible movie.


Thats all for today! I hope I see all of you soon. After tonight, I shall probably have many more exotic adventure tales to tell. Hope everyone is having a great week without school and obligations and such, and I love you all, my heart overflows. <3

XO
 

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh the time warp flashbacks. Haha.

    Man the sad movie I was like thinking requiem for a dream then I kept reading it and you mentioned it. Hahaha. I've never seen City of God I'll def have to check it out.

    Miss you to the max darling.

    ReplyDelete