Friday, April 15, 2011

suerte

No big surprise that today finds me oh-so-sleepy and tired again. I spent 3/4 of yesterday on my couch studying biology, and the other 1/4 at Allan's watching Battlestar Galactica with him. Nerdy, yes, but you should watch this show, its one of the most brilliant I've ever seen as far as storylines, acting, and making a fictional world come alive. If you like sci-fi at all, its definitely a treat.

I just finished writing my last English exam, possibly ever, which makes met terribly sad. Two essay questions, now my wrists shall ache for eternity. My prof gave me my research paper back too since I slept through his office hours yesterday, which I got an 85% on! Yay! He said a lot of really nice things about my writing too which put a smile on my face. If I didn't fear poverty and laughter, I'd probably do an English major so I could write all day. Maybe if I ever become a nurse I'll write some epic sweeping tale of my career and all the scary shit I've seen when I retire or something. I love how much English motivates me to write, its the only thing I've ever been good at really.

Now its onto day 12, 13, and 14 of the 30 day movie challenge. These questions were a bit of a struggle.

DAY 12: FAVORITE DIRECTOR

This one is probably one of the more challenging ones, as there are too many beautiful directors in life for me to pick just one. So, I am forcing myself to do so, and that director is... Darren Aronofsky! For his gorgeous, original movies that make me laugh and cry and my jaw hang open in wonderment and sometimes horror. Come on, he directed "Requiem for a Dream", "Black Swan", "The Fountain", and "The Wrestler". Can you get anymore diverse? Not to mention his black and white math thriller, "Pi", which is probably one of the best movies ever made on such a low budget. I find he's one of those directors that really enables you get inside a character's head and feel exactly what they feel, and see what they see. His movies are as beautiful as any poem or painting. Plus he's married to Rachel Weisz, what a hottie.

Honorable mentions, because this was so hard: Charlie Kaufman, Michel Gondry, Danny Boyle, Wes Anderson.

DAY 13: FAVORITE ANIMATED CHARACTER FROM A MOVIE

Ariel, from "The Little Mermaid", 1989.

I die for the Little Mermaid. Its definitely in my top 5 animated favs of all time, and after watching it on acid my life is just that much more delightful (I'm sure you've all heard that story 10,000 times, its my favorite). If I had to pick a favorite animated character, it would probably be her. She's fun, cute, loves to sing, and I love her collection of human objects, I think its beautiful. I'd probably do the same if I lived under the sea. Also, the Little Mermaid is probably my favorite Hans Christian Anderson story ever. If you've never read it, I say do so. Its far more depressing and tragic than the Disney movie, for sure.

 



DAY 14: FAVORITE BLACK & WHITE MOVIE

"All About Eve ", 1950.

Oh man, this movie. Another of the amazing classics the big sister turned me onto, and man is it ever good. It follows the story of a woman named Eve, as she worms herself into the inner circle of a famous Broadway actress named Margo Channing (the hotness that is Bette Davis) and more or less attempts to usurp her life & career. The movie is told entirely in flashback, as at the beginning Eve is seen receiving an award for her acting as a room full of very angry people stare at her, and the movie begins to explain everyone's apparent hatred for this woman. Its pretty brilliant, I must say. You have to love the classics.


 



Thats all for today! I am off for grocery shopping and cleaning with the boyfriend. Vegetarian chili and honey cake with friends tonight? Yes, please. Have a good one, y'all!


XO

No comments:

Post a Comment