Wednesday, May 18, 2011

1673

I am having a lazy day at school today. Myself & my honey did some grocery shopping last night, and I have a tasty lunched packed as a result - a turkey sandwich on rye bread, a banana, and a few chocolate chip oatmeal cookies made by yours truly! Its my mum's recipe, and man are they yummy.

I'll skip right on ahead to the 30 day movie challenge. I have lots to say, but sadly not enough time to say it! There will be another post soon, I promise.


DAY 26: LEAST FAVORITE BOOK ADAPTATION

"Running with Scissors", 2006.

I was so. Disappointed. With this movie. My mom randomly bought me the paperbook of this book for Christmas. Such a treasure - so hysterically funny, and tragic in an over-dramatic adolescent way thats totally aware that its being adolescent and over-dramatic.  A book has never made me laugh this much. But despite the awesomeness of the book, and the movie's phenomenal cast (Alec Baldwin, Annette Benning, Gwenyth Paltrow, Evan Rachel Wood, to name a few), they pretty much butchered the novel in translation to the screen. Mind you, the book is terribly crude and downright shocking in parts, so I can understand that they had to cut out certain parts. But the part that killed me the most was that it took the entire tone of the book, which had so much self-irony, and just made everything seem so sappy. Ruined it for me. Sigh.


DAY 27: FAVORITE DOCUMENTARY

"The Botany of Desire",  2009.

Daniel first introduced me to this not too long ago. Its a PBS documentary based on a book, and its all about PLANTS! More specifically, its about 4 different plants - tulips, marijuana, potatoes, and apples - and how they have evolved along with humans, and how our evolution has affected them, and focuses on 4 emotions or states or needs they've evoked or contributed to in human society - beauty, intoxication, power, and sweetness respectively. Its pretty interesting, and brought up a lot of points about all 4 I've never considered and had no idea about. Its definitely an interesting documentary, and I would recommend for sure if you're at all into stuff about nature and plants. It'll blow your mind, as it did with my own.



DAY 28: MOVIE WITH THE BEST ENDING

"Inglourious Basterds", 2009.

Oh, man. Not only is the ending of this movie awesome, its probably the most satisfying ending of any movie ever. Its by Quentin Tarantino, who I mentioned previously is basically the master of all action films. In this movie, he shies away from his double-crossing/kung-fu/serialized action roots and goes for something a bit different, and a bit more controversial - a retelling of history, more or less, in which the Third Reich and Adolf Hitler actually get what they deserve. The acting is superb, and Brad Pitt is so funny as Aldo Raine it makes me pee myself. Its a brilliantly pieced together movie, with a lot of humor, tension and violence. The scene where two parties separately conspire and succeed to burn down/blow up a theater filled with Nazis is probably one of the best executed and memorable scenes of any movie ever. If you haven't seen it, you probably should.

Now, kittens, I must do some chemistry problems before class resumes. I bid you all good day. And only one day of 30 day movie challenge left! Are you excited? I have so many ideas for future bloggins' but I really need a camera or a scanner someday. Sigh. Love!

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment