Wednesday, May 11, 2011

things we want and things we need


First chemistry lab of the year today! It was so. Fucking. Chill. I already know the labs like the back of my hand so I flew through it, thankfully. I think I might actually have a shot at passing the course this time. Fall semester my demonstrators were all in their 20s, and this time I'd say my youngest one is in her late 50s. And they are sooo funny. Maureen, the head demonstrator made me "lol" my face off during her introduction. She's one of those older people whose really nice but will tell you anything to your face. I love that in a person. I really do. My favorite part of today, and the same lab last semester, was when we got to heat up magnesium (pictured above! pic from google, not me, though I'd love to have a camera in there). When it gets hot, it makes this intense light that you can't even look at. Then it turns to powder. Its toast.

30 day movie challenge, oui? Before I begin, I have to say that I could not decide between these two movies so I have to mention them both. Its a tie, and there ain't no breaking it, unless Michel Gondry and Darren Aronofsky have a mudfight. I'll do one at a time, though.

DAY 25: THE MOST BEAUTIFUL MOVIE

"The Fountain", 2006.

This is one of the saddest and most beautiful movies I've ever seen. Quite possibly one of the loveliest love stories ever, and the tripartite storyline just makes it all the more elaborate and lovely. Its set in three different time periods, and is essential one man's search for a cure for mortality so he can save his dying lover. Aside from being incredibly sad, heartwarming, and intense, the special effects... I can't even begin. They didn't use any CGI in the movie, but instead photographed and filmed micro-organisms and light shining through water more or less. I've never seen any other movie that used this kind of imaging, and it makes me sad. Its cheaper, and the affects it produces are absolutely breath-taking. You'd never guess that it was all done organically.


"The Science of Sleep", 2006.

Apparantly 2006 was a good year for visually pleasing movies. If you know me, you may or may not know that one of the boys I'd bang if I could is Gael Garcia Bernal. I mean, c'mon, wouldn't you? He's all Spanish and dorky and adorable. He kills me. This movie is one of the sweetest creations that has ever occured, and is essentially about this very artistic man who has trouble separating his dreams from reality, and falls in love with a pretty French girl, and all the madness that results from these two things. All the sets and props in the movie look like something you'd craft together in an afternoon, and its such a sweet, endearing movies. It reminds me of kids building a playhouse or something, and has such an innocent air about it. I love the giant spider typewriter thing the best when he's dictating the fateful letter. Sign. Michel Gondry is a visual genius.

I am feeling mighty weird today, and for the last two days. Don't really know why. Probably just stressed with school and money and such, but I'm not really enjoying the company of people too much these days and I hate that. I mostly just want to curl up in a ball and stuff my face and take scalding hot baths, but then when I'm home alone I feel lonely and think too much! There is no happy medium to my life, there really isn't. Sigh.

Its chemistry studying time, everybody. I hope you're all having a bit of a better day than I. At least I know stuff always gets better!

XO

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to download movies today but for all the movies I knew I wanted to see I couldn't remember any. Then I was like Sierra's blog! So I'm now downloading The Science of Sleep and Wet Hot American Summer. I like that there's now a permanent place I can go to online for Sierra movie suggestions. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe, so glad you like it! And I hope you like "Wet Hot American Summer", it makes me ache with laughter. <333 P.S. Got your letter, loooved it. Your new envelopes/cards are so tiny and cute!

    ReplyDelete