Sunday, May 22, 2011

don't ever trust a survivor until you know what he did to survive

Its the weekend. Glorious, glorious weekend. My weekend can be summed up in:

-many slices of rye bread toast with butter and orange marmalade
-coffee, coffee, coffee
-8 pages of chemistry equations
-a brief trip to the mall to purchase baby clothes for my sister and have a luncheon with friends
-"Bluebeard" by Kurt Vonnegut
-American History X
-the familiar sound of pipes
-doodling

Not a terrible weekend, I feel. I have my first chemistry midterm this week, and since I failed the course the last time I figured it would be best if I made myself a recluse for the weekend to better my chemistry skills. I despised Chemistry before, but now that I know what I'm at its actually rather satisfying and oh-so-fun to do pages of pages of problems and get the right answers.

I am also having that wonderful student crisis of "where is my life going" that seems to be a familiar trend in the brains of my nearest and dearest of late. I got rejected from the Centre for Nursing Studies, the school where I was hoping I'd gain admission to and have a diploma by 2012. No such luck. So now I am faced with many choices. I am trying to get into the biology department at MUN. I am going to apply to both the medical radiography program at College of the North Atlantic, and the Personal Care Attendant program at Eastern College. All of these things will eventually lead me to a nursing degree, if I so choose, so one or the other will be wonderful I feel. They may even lead me on a different path. At least I have options, I guess. At least my tree still has apples on it, even though many have fallen. These are just on higher branches.

Its time to close off the 30 day movie challenge, pets. Its been a wild ride. Its prompted me to rewatch so many of my aforementioned favorites, and so many of my friends have told me that its inspired them to download and check out some of the movies on the list, which makes me the happiest. I love spreading good films, and hence good cheer, to people.

DAY 29: YOUR FAVORITE PLAY ADAPTATION

"Closer", 2004.

I didn't actually read this play until after I saw the movie, but it made me appreciate the movie even more. The play feels like a movie in itself. Its a story about relationships, and how you can never really know someone. Its very brutal and honest. The occupations of the characters focuses on this whole  idea of only knowing somebody superficially - a stripper, a dermatologist, a photographer, and a writer of obituaries. Its a story heavy with lies, deceit, and the acting is phenomenal. Under normal circumstances I'm not a fan of Julia Roberts, but she was exquisite in this movie. This is also the movie that first introduced me to the lovely music of Damien Rice, as the closing scene of the movie is Natalie Portman walking to the song "The Blower's Daughter" in slow motion. Amazing movie. Go watch it!


DAY 30: FAVORITE ROMANTIC MOVIE

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", 2004.

Sigh. Such a gorgeous movie. Very unconventional for a romance, but thats how Charlie Kaufman operates. Its directed by Michel Gondry, that wonderful visionary I mentioned who also directed "The Science of Sleep", another favorite. This movie is the story of a man and a woman who have a painful breakup, and centers around this medical practice that specializes in erasing painful memories of former loves. After their split, the man finds with great pain and anger that his ex-girlfriend has done just this, and decides to the same himself. However, while reliving his relationship in his mind through the erasing process, he realizes that he still loves her deeply and would rather have the memories of her, even if they are painful. After they have both had their memories erased, they meet again, as if they were meant to be together and now have something of a fresh start together. Its a beautiful movie, and Jim Carey and Kate Winslet were mesmerizingly awesome in it - they pretty much played the polar opposite of their usual characters, with Kate Winslet being the quirky one and Jim Carey being quiet and thoughtful. This is an absolute must-see.

And so ends my adventure into movieland, and what a trek it has been! Now I must think of something new and exciting to embark on with my blog. Any suggestions?

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment